Eclipse Committer Emeritus

>> Friday, July 29, 2016

I received this very kind email in my inbox this morning.

"David Williams has expired your commit rights to the
eclipse.platform.releng project.  The reason for this change is:

We have all known this day would come, but it does not make it any easier.
It has taken me four years to accept that Kim is no longer helping us with
Eclipse. That is how large her impact was, both on myself and Eclipse as a
whole. And that is just the beginning of why I am designating her as
"Committer Emeritus". Without her, I humbly suggest that Eclipse would not
have gone very far. Git shows her active from 2003 to 2012 -- longer than
most! She is (still!) user number one on the build machine. (In Unix terms,
that is UID 500). The original admin, when "Eclipse" was just the Eclipse
Project.

She was not only dedicated to her job as a release engineer she was
passionate about doing all she could to make other committer's jobs easier
so they could focus on their code and specialties. She did (and still does)
know that release engineering is a field of its own; a specialized
profession (not something to "tack on" at the end) that just anyone can do)
 and good, committed release engineers are critical to the success of any
project.

For anyone reading this that did not know Kim, it is not too late: you can
follow her blog at

http://relengofthenerds.blogspot.com/

You will see that she is still passionate about release engineering and
influential in her field.

And, besides all that, she was (I assume still is :) a well-rounded, nice
person, that was easy to work with! (Well, except she likes running for
exercise. :)

Thanks, Kim, for all that you gave to Eclipse and my personal thanks for
all that you taught me over the years (and I mean before I even tried to
fill your shoes in the Platform).

We all appreciate your enormous contribution to the success of Eclipse and
happy to see your successes continuing.

To honor your contributions to the project, David Williams has nominated
you for Committer Emeritus status."


Thank you David! I really appreciate your kind words.  I learned so much working with everyone in the Eclipse community.  I had the intention to contribute to Eclipse when I left IBM but really felt that I have given all I had to give.  Few people have the chance to contribute to two fantastic open source communities during their career.  I'm lucky to have that opportunity.


My IBM friends made this neat Eclipse poster when I left.  The Mozilla dino displays my IRC handle.

2 comments:

Ian Bull 9:52 AM  

In the beginning family members spend all their time together. They laugh, they cry, they learn, they teach. Family members can let you down like nobody else and they can lift you up, higher than you ever expected. Family members are there for you. As we grow, families can move apart but this doesn't mean we grow apart. We try new things, seek out new experiences, and meet new families; and when we meet again, the time together is cherished even more. Thanks Kim for all your work. You're missed, but you're not far and you're certainly not forgotten.

Kim Moir 8:36 AM  

Thanks Ian, that is very kind of you! A nice way of putting it. I always try to cherish the time I spend working with amazing people because given the turnover in the industry you never know how long you will work together.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP